Friday, June 15, 2012

When Life Gives You Lemons...

Make Lemon Curd!

Yesterday we got an incredibly exciting package in the mail. A relative who lives in San Diego sent Alex (and I) a huge box of his home-grown lemons. These things were big, and their juice is so delicious. Since they weren't from the store, I know they aren't waxed, and so they won't last very long. I'd never made lemon curd before, so I decided to give it a try. Particularly since this is what our fruit bowl currently looks like:

We have a lot of lemons!
What a Thoughtful Treat!! I may have promised to play video games in return for these puppies, though.

I halved the sugar in the recipe, and used local eggs for the custard. Yuuuum! It is delicious and tart. This is no mild, namby-pamby lemon curd you get at the specialty food store. It's bright and gorgeously yellow and it will add flavor and creamy texture to shortbread and pound cakes all year! I'll probably do another round to give as present, but I didn't have enough butter on hand to make it happen this morning.
Add 1 cup lemon juice and 1 T zest to double boiler

Add 1 1/2 sticks butter, 1 cup sugar, and 4 eggs and whisk constantly until it thickens


These are the eggs we just picked up from the Phipps Farmer's Market

Strain through a mesh sieve if you want, but I always skip that in any recipe.
Laddle into jars and process 10 minutes.


Lemon curd is great because it employs both the juice and the zest. The spent lemon peels didn't go to waste either, because I mixed up a batch of lemon cucumber water as well. It's like the spa is right in my kitchen! For people who don't like drinking water, this is a great way to feel luxurious while you're hydrating.


No comments: