Wednesday, February 27, 2008

PROJECT RULE #1: NO MORE JUNK!

Ok, So I have decided on the first project rule to add to the Manifesta:

I WILL NOT BUY USELESS CRAP!

One of the scariest things about our environmental situation is that recycling doesn't really cut it. Yes it helps, but if we really want to make progress we need to cut down on the STUFF! Our economy is based upon the use and discard model. This past weekend I went to Target to buy deoderant and shampoo and ended up spending 70 dollars on crud I don't even REMOTELY need such as:

~A ceramic decorative ball (???)
~The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (It should be noted that I have a Netflix membership)
~Wash clothes that matched my bathroom rug (I already have 2 dozen)
~Chocolate Covered Pretzel Sticks - each individually wrapped in plastic!

This must stop!
Moving forward, I will buy less crap. IF I make the decision to buy anything (that falls outside the realm of food or personal care) I must:

1) Post my rationale for the purchase on the blog
2) Post a picture of the item on the blog
3) Leave myself open to rebuke in the comments

No comments: