Monday, November 9, 2009

Activism?

As of 15 minutes ago, I am a member of Greenpeace!

I was walking toward a coffee shop on Pearl Street, and was stopped by a charming young man with a Greenpeace clipboard. My initial "I'm good, thanks" response wasn't accepted by this guy, and he pushed a little bit, discussing endangered whales, orangutans, and the need to put consumer pressure on trangressing corporations.

"I have no money!" I insisted, but as he was chatting I realized the hypocrisy of my position. I read articles about Greenpeace and Earthfirst every week. I WRITE about them, for goodness sake! And it is my job to analyze the effectiveness of environmental rhetoric and try to make it better. I need to put my money where my mouth is!

So I stopped being a turd, and pledged a little money to a cause I believe in. I'm pretty thrilled about it, actually. Greenpeace does have a number of successes in the past, and maybe my little bit of $ will help them gain ground in the future. In any case, it's gotten me thinking about environmental activism, which I really don't do. I have a lot of excuses: I'm poor, and harried, and incredibly busy. But there is a difference in NOT doing bad things for the environment and proactively doing something positive.

I want a positive project, other than my academic research. Any ideas?

1 comment:

COCOWU said...

Every season,I like to change my handbags.So I have many handbags in my wardrobe.All my handbags are handbags knockoffs.Because replica handbags are much cheaper.Among all my handbags,I like Goyard Handbags best.But in this winter,I want to buy UGG Handbags.I have a pair of fake UGG Classic Tall Romantic Flower boots,the quality is good,so I think the quality of UGG Handbags should be good too.In addition to UGG Handbags,I also want to buy UGG Classic Argyle Knit boots.