Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Ohiopyle Hiking Trip

This weekend we took an overnight hiking trip on a whim. We'd bought used packs a few weeks ago and the cheapest tent REI had to offer last week. I was starting to feel the weather crunch, since in another month it will most likely be too chilly to sleep outdoors with the equipment we have.

So down to Ohiopyle we drove. We did about a 2.5 hour hike in the afternoon, then camped at one of the tent sites, and came back the following morning. The whole trip took 24 hours total. We learned some things about our packs, and that the sleep padding we have is not adequate for long term trips where actual sleep will be required. We also learned that yes, the rain fly works well, since it rained the entire night.

I really enjoyed waking in the crisp, autumn air and drinking a hot mug of tea in front of a tiny fire. Next step is to do an actual backpacking trip, but only a short distance. Maybe next Sunday. Finally, before the season ends, I want to do the 19 mile backpacking loop in Racoon Creek State Park.

What is with me? I leave Colorado and all of a sudden I like being outdoors. I suspect it has a lot to do with the deficiency of mountain lions in my current state. That, and all the cool fungus and moss around here. The way to make me interested in something is to cover it with fungus and moss.

Perhaps I should embroider that on a pillow.
















No comments: