Saturday, March 1, 2008

A revelation: RULE #2: NO DISPOSABLE FOOD CONTAINERS

Last night I went out to celebrate the completion of a thesis chapter. We dined at a bar/restaurant that uses a ton of local products, and I drank a local organic beer. For those in the party who eat meat, all of the beef is from 2 miles down the road. I was happy in my dining choices until I got home and realized that, since I hadn't been able to finish my black bean and mushroom rueben, the server gave me an aluminum and plastic takeout container in which to take it home.

MORE DISPOSABLE STUFF!

And so Project Rule #2 struck me quite hard:

I WILL NOT USE DISPOSABLE FOOD CONTAINERS ANYMORE. This means no takeout, no delivery, no lattes that aren't in real mugs, and no leftovers transported in any containers but my own. I started carrying a glass mason jar around for my tea and water yesterday like No Impact Man but this isn't enough. I need to plan ahead when going out and bring my own "tupperware" (I use pickle jars.) I need to have the foresight to plan what I'll be eating for lunch so time and desperation doesn't send me to the student union for a substandard and very packaged meal.

No comments: