Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Culinary Exploits + Why I'm Annoyed With Blogger

I wrote this post once already, and then blogger summoned a boatload of error messages followed by my losing the post. This wouldn't be such a bit deal other than the fact that I've been digging in the garden all afternoon, my back hurts, and this computer chair isn't doing it any favors. I wanna go lie down with some of the farm mags I bought today at Barnes and Noble.

Yesterday I decided to make a batch of mozzarella from the local raw milk I acquired from Wild Purveyors. It was the best (and most well-behaved) batch I've ever made, and I don't think that has anything to do with my increasing cheesemaking prowess. Raw milk is lauded by those who know such things as the best for cheesemaking and I second. I didn't want to waste all the hot whey, so I decided to make bread with it. Unfortunately, stores are getting a little low around here and I didn't have enough of any one flour to follow an actual recipe. I winged it with local whole wheat and local rye flour and some caraway seeds, and it turned out extremely well: dense, flavorful rye(ish) bread that was great for scooping up our chili cheese dip last night while watching Footloose 2011. I'm not sure how I got away with that movie selection, but I think the promise of the chili cheese dip on crusty bread was partially responsible.

Today after picking up a bag of organic chick feed in anticipation of the ladies' arrival next week, dropping off some baby clothes for a friend, and grabbing a brooder lamp (which Lowes DID have, despite everyone in the store telling me otherwise), we were famished. I grabbed yesterday's mozzarella, local broccoli, mushrooms (also from Wild Purveyors), and onions, and whipped up a great cheesy pasta dish with some spelt elbows (not local, but bought in bulk at the coop.)

We dumped the leftovers into a casserole dish and covered them in breadcrumbs so we can back it tomorrow as a grownup mac and cheese.

I wish I had pictures of any/all of this, but I tore into the food without remembering to take any.

No comments: